Monday, April 18, 2011

William Rusher R.I.P.

He changed American politics forever. William Rusher was publisher of the National Review for almost 30 years. I had occasion to lunch with him several times in San Francisco. Several years ago I was doing a radio talk show on a leading station. On more than one occasion I had gleaned material from Mr. Rusher’s work. At one point I wrote to N.R. telling him I was an admirer of his work. About two weeks later I received a phone call inviting me to lunch. Thus began an infrequent but sometimes regular relationship to lunch, discuss politics, even poetry on occasion.
        His political success was highlighted in the 1960’s when he and others successfully launched the Republican Presidential campaign of Barry Goldwater (despite the Arizona Senators loss to LBJ). That move mortally wounded the liberal, east-coast wing of the Republican Party and made way for the Conservatism of Ronald Reagan.
        I shall never forget the warmth and encouragement I received from this man. William (Bill) Rusher was 87. R.I.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment